Ordination Response: A Just World for All.

Response: A Just World for All.
Thank you to all who made it possible today and for all your participation and support.
Rev. Anthony Williams is marching toward DC now. Rev. Williams is on a mission for years pushing elected officials to declare violence as a public health crisis. He started to march on foot from Chicago to the destination, White House. If we knew, we are one church and working on a just world for all, and we shall support him, pray for him, and walk with him together. I met Rev. Williams two years ago, on different occasions. Rev. Williams has only one thought: why does the public not pay attention to the internalized violence and destructive ideology? I was moved by his devotion and realized it is the individual’s devotion that made the change, made this a better world, although some might treat him like an idiot. However, I knew a lot of idiots who have done fabulous things no one could imagine before.


It has been a long journey since 2008. I was shocked by Rev. Yia-Hui Yang’s (楊雅惠牧師) death and that motivated my determination to become an ordained minister, not only for LGBTQ folks, but also for everyone who suffers from institutionalized oppression and discrimination. May she rest in peace.
There are so many mentors and friends to whom I would like to express my appreciation. Most of them are here today, on Zoom, on Facebook, and YouTube. Some of them might have a unique channel watching from above. Hi, you know I miss you y’all: my father 陳正治, Rev. Ya-Hui Yang (楊雅惠牧師), Prof. 王貞文, Prof. Ted Jennings, and our friend 張原境, who just passed away last week. May they rest in peace.
I also want to say thank you, to those congregations that are part of my journey: Grace Lutheran Church in Taipei, Tong-Kwang Church in Taipei, Trinity Presbyterian Church in Tainan, 台南博愛基督長老教會 Po-Ai Presbyterian Church in Tainan, 口碑教會 Kau-Pi Presbyterian Church in Tainan, 基督眾樂教會 One Body in Christ in Hong Kong, Hyde Park Union Church in Chicago, 芝城台灣基督長老教會 Taiwan Presbyterian Church of Greater Chicago, and United Church of Hyde Park in Chicago. Thank you.
Also, those seminaries equipped me. Taiwan Theological College and Seminary in Taipei. I received my first theological degree there, although you are still struggling with becoming an LGBTQ-friendly seminary. I appreciate all the facilities and staff who stand in solidarity with LGBTQ folks without any hesitation. I believe the Holy Spirit is still working very hard to make the transformation come true.
Tainan Theological College and Seminary in Tainan. May you keep opening the door for LGBTQ folks like me and fighting against institutional homophobia. Queer Theology Academy 性神學社 in Hong Kong. My eyes were open to queer theology, which pushed me to do more advanced research on this topic. Chicago Theological Seminary. CTS is the key to all possibilities. Rev. Yang graduated here and started the first LGBT congregation in Taiwan, 1996. So many of my mentors at Tainan Seminary graduated from CTS with master's and doctoral degrees. They carry the torch of true light for all the people who are seeking Jesus the Christ from every corner.
Also, thanks to the United Church of Hyde Park, the Chicago Metropolitan Association (CMA), and the United Church of Christ (UCC) who have accepted me as a member. I am looking forward to working with you all, in Chicago, Illinois, in the US, and even all around the world. Tomorrow, we will go back to the church and worship together for the first time since last March. I believe there are still so many good things to come. And please, remind me of anything that I am wrong. Please, remind me that I am but a mortal and imperfect humanoid. Remind me that I am a child of God, so you all. Thank you.
Let us pray.
Benediction
May the living God be with us all, especially with the people in Hong Kong and with Rev. Anthony Williams. May God give us the courage to fight for justice, for LGBTQ people, and for all who are suffering. May Jesus the Christ provide us with the passion for engaging our neighbors. May The Holy Spirit give us hope while we could not see one. May God of many names keep guiding us on our journey. Amen.
My response start at 45:55 in this video. https://youtu.be/p67-_r4iPsA?t=2755


* This is the hymn I picked for the ceremony.
I learned this hymn at the seminary in Taiwan, from my professors. <There Is a Balm in Gilead>



May this hymn give us strength and make us feel loved.
** screenshot from Laying On Of Hands
The Ordinand will come and kneel before the virtual altar. All children of G*d are now asked to come forward for the laying on of hands. Put your hand up in front of the camera.

The laying on of hands is the symbolic act whereby the church in every age recognizes G*d’s call to ministry in the lives of faithful G*d’s children and asks the Holy Spirit to confer on them gifts for ordained ministry. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Essenes愛色尼派

舊約原典釋義:創世記 28:10-22釋義

《性別麻煩:女性主義與身份的顛覆》讀書報告