Chicago Theological Seminary (CTS) on the 60th Street, Hyde Park
I spent some time this afternoon walking through the soon-to-be-empty Chicago Theological Seminary (CTS) building on the 60th Street. For me, this building is the physical embodiment of CTS—the place that connects so deeply with my studies and my life. Friends who experienced both CTS buildings might tell very different stories. As I walked past the classrooms, memories surfaced, and I could almost see the classes and events unfolding again.
1. The small chapel on the first floor
I remember attending small gatherings here, including lectures celebrating professors’ new books and times of prayer. The difficult part was that the “living water” always seemed to be broken.
2. Seminar Room 117
I had several PhD classes here—intensive directed studies with only three students. Most of the time, I barely survived them. Coffee and Coke were essential.
I also took my language exam and one of my field exams in this room. On that particular day, people outside were in a very cheerful mood and encouraged me to turn in my exam early.
3. Classroom 217
My first class with Dr. Ted Jennings was here: Post-Christianity Theology. We read some VERY strange and unsettling texts, and our conversations were intensely provocative and deconstructive.
Ted also invited us to Jimmy’s for what he considered real theological dialogue. As he told us, theology cannot be discussed without beer.
4. Classroom 222
This was one of the most memorable spaces in the entire building. I took most of my classes here and also served as a teaching assistant in this room.
Thesis Writing was the first class I took here. It required a great deal of energy as I learned how to elevate my academic writing beyond what I had done in my previous studies.
I also met many friends who were not CTS students but came here to take classes. They told us that CTS was the only school in the greater Chicago area offering such advanced and “shameful/indecent” courses—“shameful/indecent” in the most affirming and positive sense.
5. Room 221
This was one of the Chicago Metropolitan Association offices in the building. My friend and mentor worked here and regularly checked in with me to make sure I was on the right path toward becoming a competent and kindhearted UCC minister.
I spent plenty of time in this room. My friend always greeted me with a smile and invited me to bring a cup of coffee and stay for a conversation.
6. My personal mailbox
Having a mailbox at school was a new experience for me. From time to time, I received notes, letters, and interesting gifts here.
7. Group Study Room 322
I spent many hours in this room, primarily reading and writing assignments. I also took three field exams here. Those days were long!
Sometimes—or, during the past few years, most of the time—the librarian and I were the only people in the entire library. Having the space to myself became a luxurious experience.
8. The Learning Commons—the library
I worked at the circulation desk for years, beginning when I was a master’s student. Sometimes, I was the last person in the entire space, responsible for turning off the lights and making sure the doors were locked before leaving.
This was also a place where I exchanged ideas with many friends and received invaluable feedback and assistance.
9. The lockers
I had two lockers: one in the library for PhD students and another in the student lounge. I kept food containers, light jackets, textbooks, and my coffee mug in them. When I still rode my bike, I stored my helmet there as well.
10. Room 315—the Language and Writing Center
I came here several times for conversations with the directors about academic writing, although most of my work was submitted and discussed by email. Even so, this was one of the most helpful resources throughout my academic journey.
11. The student lounge
Other than the fellowship hall, this may have been the most popular gathering place for me and many other students. We shared not only meals, but also books, laughter, and tears.
Once, we had a “bedbug” crisis, and every sofa, chair, and couch was labeled: DANGEROUS!
12. The vending machines
Getting the item you wanted always required luck. Half the time, if something fell, it was not what you had selected. The other half of the time, nothing came out at all. We tried calling for help, but it was no use.
13. The fourth-floor chapel
I spent a great deal of time here attending Wednesday seminary chapel services and large community events.
I remember that Adam’s first visit was on the day I received the Castañeda-Jennings Award. A Jewish lecturer, who was also my mentor, gave a wonderfully complicated speech that evening. This was also where my CTS orientation took place in 2015.
14. Room 020—the library archives
While working at the circulation desk, I sometimes visited the archives to retrieve books, journals, and essential and unique dissertations. Rare books were also secured here.
A former librarian told me that all the shelves had earthquake-resistant features. Nevertheless, whenever I worked alone down there late in the evening, I kept praying the Lord’s Prayer.
15. Ted’s (1942–2020) and other professors’ burial sites
This was one of the corners of the building where I could calm myself and reconnect with brilliant minds and souls. Two benches remain there for anyone who needs a little space.
This place also reminds me of Rev. Yang’s experience in the old CTS building. She once saw two gay seminarians holding hands—an encounter that inspired her to begin LGBTQ ministries in Taiwan.
Walking through these spaces reminded me that a building is never merely a building. It holds the work we struggled through, the people who shaped us, the conversations that changed us, and the lives we became within its walls.
--
* The University of Chicago and Chicago Theological Seminary Complete a Chapter of Historic Collaboration (August 14, 2026)
Comments